Approving User Managed Locations

Home Forums Store Locator Plus Approving User Managed Locations

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DeBAAT 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

I’ve purchased Pro Pack and User Managed Locations. I am looking for a way for new locations to wait for admin approval before being published on the site, rather than allowing an approved user to post at-will. Is this possible?

Looking through old forum posts, it seems like this was in the original iteration of the plugin, so I would think it’s still possible to set this up. If it’s not included, can you point me in the right direction to get this functionality working?

Thank you!

DeBAAT

Hai,
    Thanks for purchasing these add-ons.
    And your suggestion is a very nice additional feature.
    I’ll have a look into how to implement this.

Paul
    Participant

Great – thanks. When you look into it – can you post an ETA? Anything I could do to help speed up development of this addition?

DeBAAT

Hai,
    Thanks for the enthousiasm.
    And I’ve been thinking on how to implement this as there are (of course) several possible solutions.

The one that most appeals at the moment is to remove the lat/long information from the newly added locations. They will then only be shown when you re-geocode the locations. But I have to figure out what possible side effects this can have.

Paul
    Participant

What about just having new items (assuming locations are a custom post type) post as pending or drafts instead of published, by default?

DeBAAT

Hai Paul,

UML V4.1.007 is about to come live. It has the option to block automatic publication of locations by store users. Please be aware that you have to manage the option setting for this to work.

Your suggestion on using drafts is nice but could not work as locations are no custom post types.

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

Locations are NOT a custom post type. They reside in a MySQL database table. Custom post types are much slower for this type of lookup. On 10 locations you won’t notice. For the client sites with 10,000+ locations you definitely want to use a direct MySQL lookup table.

The original plugin did NOT have a draft mode for locations. All locations are searchable. Store Pages has a draft mode but that is NOT the primary source of the location data it is only a SEO friendly representation of location data.

Removing lat/long will help in SOME cases, however not all searches require a lat/long to return those results. Ignore radius being turned on will cause even the missing lat/long locations to appear.

The best solution would be to add a “mode” field that is similar to the Draft/Published mode on custom post types. However this would require the base plugin to be updated along with a lot of supporting classes and UI interfaces. Letting UML control that setting on a per-location basis would be a nice featured, but the “location mode” of published/draft really needs to be a core location property not an add-on property as multiple add-on packs will be affected by this feature.

Paul
    Participant

I updated to the newest version (thanks for including this new feature!), but I’m unable to save the setting for some reason.

Under “User Rights” settings, every time I uncheck the box and click “save settings” it refreshes the page and the option is still checked. Any advice?

DeBAAT

Hm, strange.
    I’m sorry, but can you give me some more information on your particular installation?
    What other add-ons are you using and what are the respective versions?
    Could you try to disable them and test again?
    If you prefer, you can also mail me the information.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.