Inconsistent map markers

Home Forums Store Locator Plus Inconsistent map markers

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Randy 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Randy
    Participant

I am having an issue getting custom map markers to show up as they should. The attached images show what I mean. These two locations are virtually identical, as you can see from the CSV export. They should both have the purple “thumb’s up” map marker, but I can’t figure out what I need to do to make that marker appear for the location that is using the blue pointer instead. Any thoughts?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Cici
    Keymaster

Hi Randy. Please post a link to your locations page. That will be a big step towards getting help.

Randy
    Participant

Every time I try to post the link, my post doesn’t show up. I’ll try again in a separate post.

Randy
    Participant

www dot sashco dot com/where-to-buy/

Randy
    Participant

Does anyone have any ideas why our custom map markers aren’t working?

Cici
    Keymaster

Can you give me an address of a specific location that has a custom marker, the product line, and the URL of the marker image that is supposed to show up for it?

I went to http://www.sashco.com/where-to-buy/ and tried 1162 Hoch Lum 100 South Main, Yuma Colorado 80759, caulks and sealants. It showed a custom icon for your preferred retailer.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Cici.

Randy
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time. Try 80537, Caulking and Sealants, 10 miles. You’ll see 6 locations – 4 with blue pins and 2 with purple thumbs ups. If you look at the list below the map, you’ll see some clues as to what might be going on. Notice the Diamond Vogel item in the list, on the right under directions, “Preferred Retailer, Caulks and Sealants” mixed in with the blue pin and purple thumbs up. I believe that funkiness is due to that text being entered where the phone number is supposed to be. However, Diamond Vogel has a purple thumbs up on the map, as it should. If you look at Bloedorn Lumber in the list, you’ll see it also has a blue pin and purple thumbs up with no funky text. However, it has a blue pin on the map instead of the purple thumbs up that is should have. Also, in the list, Jax has a blue pin, green pin, and a purple thumbs up. According to the key, it should have a yellow pin on the map. Instead, it merely has a blue pin. In fact, any new retailers that I add always have a blue pin. Jax was working correctly earlier this morning, when it was listed as only a “Caulking and Sealants” and “Log/Wood Home Solutions” retailer. As soon as I added the “Preferred” category, the map marker changed from a yellow pin to a blue pin.

Sorry for the glut of info. Hopefully you have some ideas how I can get this working properly.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Randy.

Cici
    Keymaster

To address the text formatting, you have the marker and the text appearing on the same line. Because the markers are taller than the text, it looks strange. You’ll need to find a way to make the icon appear on a new line. This might be accomplished with CSS, maybe:

.location_iconarray {

display:block;

}

(my CSS might be incorrect, I’m far from a CSS expert.)

Or maybe it can be controlled in the layout. I’ll look into some options, but let me know if you come up with anything that looks better.

As far as the wrong icons coming up, if you try a single custom icon for each location, does it display correctly?

Randy
    Participant

I changed Jax to a Preferred Retailer. Now, if you search 80537, preferred, 10 miles, you’ll see 4 locations, one of which is Jax. It has the purple icon in the list view, but in the map it’s still blue. I also exported all 80537 locations as a CSV, deleted everything except Diamond Vogel, and reimported it. Diamond Vogel still had the correct map marker (purple). I went back to my CSV, changed only the items that are different (id, name, address, etc.) to Jax’s info and reimported. I still get the blue icon instead of purple. This is quite a puzzle.

Randy
    Participant

Please see the attached images. Notice the 2 locations at the bottom of the map that overlap each other. The purple marker is Diamond Vogel and the blue marker is Test. Test was created from a CSV export of Diamond Vogel and the only thing I changed was the store name, and I deleted the id column. The map marker for both should be purple. I exported another CSV and deleted everything except those 2 locations. As you can see from the attachment, there is absolutely no difference between the two in the CSV except the id and store name, so why do they have different map markers?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Randy
    Participant

So Aaron, any thoughts now that you can compare apples to apples why SLP calls one an apple and the other an orange?

Randy
    Participant

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

Which plugins are you using to change map markers and set icons?  Tagalong for icons and markers, I’m assuming, but are changing markers anywhere else?

If you can provide the URL to your site and some specific search terms we can look at the JSON data coming back from the search results and see what is coming out of the database for marker info and go from there.

Tagalong markers are sorted by rank , then alphabetically.  Only the FIRST map marker in the assigned category list is used on the map so you may want to check that.

Randy
    Participant

Your last paragraph got me to the answer! I’m still not sure why some locations were working correctly, because the ranks weren’t set up at all. I had never noticed that the “Store Categories” button within tagalong was even a button at all, but after I clicked it, your last paragraph made sense. Thanks for your help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.