Loading indicator for large number of results

Home Forums Store Locator Plus Loading indicator for large number of results

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jeremy 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Debbie
    Participant

We love this plugin! I have the map and add-ons working the way we want, and was able to import over 1000 locations from a CSV file, but when a large number of locations should be found (more than 100) it takes a bit of time between clicking “Find Locations” and the actual display of the results. Because the page doesn’t reload and there is no loading indicator, it seems like nothing is happening and then they all load in at once. Is there any way to indicate the results are loading – perhaps a loading animation or a bit of text? Thanks!!

Link to our map: http://www.bobbitt.com/projects/by-location/
    Selecting Raleigh, NC from the City selection is a good example of the delay that leaves a user feeling like it isn’t working unless they hang around long enough.

Cici
    Keymaster

Looking at your page with Firebug, I notice the warning “You have included the Google Maps API multiple times on this page. This may cause unexpected errors.”

Does your theme or another plugin have Google Maps active?

Debbie
    Participant

Yes. We were using Progress Maps, a similar solution to this, but it did not meet our needs or goals. I just deactivated that plugin and tested again. I still have a delay for NC which has about 300 locations. I don’t find the delay too long, I just wish there was some indicator that it is loading. It just feels like the page is locked up until they show up. I will try to troubleshoot further in Firebug – I just didn’t think it was an error initially, just a lack of indication for the process. Thank you for you time and assistance!

Cici
    Keymaster

When I search on your site for NC, I get a popup that says:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.  Script: http://www.bobbitt.com/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.11.1:3

Under the SLP admin panel>user experience>results you can set Max Search Results. The default is 25. The same goes for Number to Show Initially. Are these still set to 25? The recommended maximum is 50.

Debbie
    Participant

No. We set the maximum to 500, because the client really wants all the listings to show for Raleigh, NC to show how many construction jobs they have done. We did set it not to show them initially though. It would be nice if there was simply some text or an animation that lets the user know it is loading – but that is only a problem for Raleigh, NC as it has most of the locations. Again, I don’t see this as a bug or issue with your software or plugins – I just think a loading indicator would be a nice feature addition for those of us that are willing to have a small delay while a large number of locations load in. The delay is reasonable, it is just misleading because it seems like the page is locked up until they show up. Thanks, again. We are still happy enough to keep the software as it is – just hopeful that a loading indicator might be included in the future? ; )

Jeremy
    Participant

By installing the enhanced results plugin and disabling the directory is it possible to get JUST the map to show up more quickly with over 1000 points loading initially?

The load time is super inconvenient and as Debbie stated misleading seems like the website is buggy and locked up for moments at a time.

Also, if we purchased our own Google API to process the requests would it improve the time?

We are looking for an almost instantaneous load of all of the points. The directory is not entirely necessary. We just want all of the points to be visible initially and the load time to be very instantaneous.

What do we need to do to fix this?

Reducing the number of initial points in our case is not an option. My supervisor is extremely upset about this and the amount of money we’ve dropped into the plugin so far and wants me to switch to google maps if this is not possible.

http://www.c-store.tv/locations/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.