not finding location

Home Forums Store Locator Plus not finding location

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lance Cleveland 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Lee
    Participant

We have an implementation of SLP at http://www.rightatschool.com/program-finder/

When we enter 83427, it does not find the location associated with it, Iona Elementary.  If you enter Iona, ID, it finds it.  I checked the details for this location, and the zip code is entered correctly.

Any ideas?

Lee

Cici
    Keymaster

Lee,

That may be a  Google geocode issue but without seeing how it is entered as far as address I can’t be sure.

There is a new feature being prepared for a new release to the Premier map as a sort of  “influence googles guesses” that Lance is coding  as an add-on program to overcome this Google map issue.

Here is a response from Lance in a previous forum answer that might shed some light on your issue.

/forums/topic/search-by-zip/

Cici
    Keymaster

Lee,

I meant to ask you that location was imported as  part of a larger Import CSV file?  I do not recall what you have installed, its always good to repeat that information when posting, I am not always able to take time to look up an individual’s forum profile to find their name or company information and then search through orders to see what they might have purchased and when.

Read this before posting in Forum

Thanks

CiCi

Lee
    Participant

I did import as part of a larger CSV file, but I’ve also tried editing over the latitude and longitude, with no success.  The location is a school that actually has a Google Places page, so it’s very confusing.

I have the Pro Pack and Enhanced Results.  Is there a way of setting the “search nearest” option that Lance mentions in the post you link to?

Thanks,

Lee

Cici
    Keymaster

Lee,

You may want to delete that one line item and re enter it manually, I have no idea why it cant find it but Google commercial mapping (which Store locator Plus uses) and Google proprietary Mapping (which the rest of us get to use when using Google browser as casual users) are totally separate search mechanisms sad to say. Lance asked a representative about this and was told, indeed they use two different systems and they wont tell you why or what.

But that shouldn’t effect you, check your radius behavior settings.

The search address  nearest is part of  Enhanced Search Product Page

The Append search is also part of that product.

/documentation/store-locator-plus/user-experience/search-form/search-features/#enhanced_search_features

He also has a new premier product coming out in 4.3 with  Boundary influences and “Google influence guesses”  if that is the article you mean , but that is only available to premier subscribers.

Lee
    Participant

This problem is persisting, despite re-entering data, setting featured locations, and other changes. I can’t find the “search address nearest” setting.

When someone enters 83427 in our search form (www.rightatschool.com/program-finder), they should find Iona Elementary School, but it says no results found.  When you enter 83401, Iona Elementary School shows up at the top of the list, but Fairview Elementary, which is in 83401, doesn’t show on the list at all.  This is very strange, and it’s upsetting to my client and their school customers.

Please advise on a workable solution.

Cici
    Keymaster

As mentioned in previous post , search nearest is Enhanced search add on feature, you did not list that as part of your plugin, nor have you provided the version and other plugin environment info. We cannot tell what you are running and themes and versions of wp. (And versions of this product all interact, you need to provide the information requested in the Read this before posting link).

Lee
    Participant

I do have Enhanced Search and the Pro Pack.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Lee.

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

Lee – first, please do not post the same question twice. It does not lead to a faster response and slows down our response time for everyone.

Google things the zip code is here:
    addressInput=83427
    lat
    lng

In contrast, Google thinks the city + state (Iona, ID) is here:
    addressInput=+Iona%2C+ID
    lat
    lng

Why that is, I cannot tell you. That is something to be discussed with Google Map Services. I had an OEM Enterprise License for the past year and couldn’t get a single viable answer on any of a half-dozen technical questions so I don’t think they will give you any clue why the lat/long is so different.

That said, the location is not coming up when doing a zip-code search because your target school, Iona Elementary is NOT within 10 miles of the lat/long coordinates 43.3494164,
    -111.77239609999998. If the town is more than 10 square miles there will be points the reside inside of the specified zip code that are not within 10 miles of the dead center of that zip code. Interestingly, Google thinks the center of the town Iona ID is NOT in the same location as the center of the zip code. Very likely if the town/city consists of more than one zip code.

The functionality is described in detail in the technical documentation and several online forums. If you increase your radius beyond 10 miles you may find Iona Elementary comes up for the specified zip code.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.