Problem with CSV Importer

Home Forums Store Locator Plus Problem with CSV Importer

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cici 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Peter
    Participant

We’ve just purchased and installed SLP with the Pro Pack (latest version available today). We are running the most current version of WP hosted at WP Engine.  We had manually entered a handful of addresses. We then exported those addresses, added more to the list and tried to reimport (after removing the existing addresses). We kept the same headers as the system exported to the CSV file.

The importer doesn’t seem to accept the file we try to re-upload. The filesize is under 1MB and I don’t think the php memory limit is the problem.   Is there another way to import the file or should we try to create a new CSV from scratch?

We had followed this link as a guide /documentation/store-locator-plus/locations/bulk-data-import/#import_tips

Pomona
    Participant

I’m having the same problem. SLP, ProPack and WP are the latest versions. I’ve done lots of CSV uploads successfully in the past. This one that failed is only 100 lines.

http://www.pomonapectin.com/store-locator/

Thank you

Paul

Cici
    Keymaster

There has been a lot of work done with patches, so really need people to post what they are running., versions etc.

/forums/topic/read-this-before-posting/

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

Also, post your CSV file or email it so I can check it.     Make sure if you email a CSV file you reference the specific post (URL to this page please) so I can reply and cross-reference your post.

Pomona
    Participant

Here is the post explaining the problem /forums/topic/problem-with-csv-importer/#post-30891).

I also posted the same problem under the following post with a bit more detail because I wasn’t sure you would respond to my add-on to another’s post.

/forums/topic/csv-upload-not-working/   post 30877

The CSV file is attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Cici
    Keymaster

Pomona
    I imported the file that you have attached without a problem

Where are you importing the file from? A remote url (bottom of the import page) or the upload file from local directory?

Pomona
    Participant

CiCi,

I should have been more clear. I too can import the file without problem. Once I import I see that 103 data lines were read and 103 new locations were added.

But when I go to Manage Locations and search to see them in the database only 8 of the 103 appear. I’ve done this multiple times and it is always the same 8 that appear. My total number of locations only increases by 8 after the file is uploaded.

I’ve even added a few locations manually to make sure I haven’t hit any kind of a maximum allowed. I have 3562 total locations.

Thanks again

Cici
    Keymaster

Hmm, That is strange, because I juts went back into my test site that only has your imported CSV file and went to the “manage” and all 104 showed up for me. I see 11 pages of locations.

So now I am truly stuck on what could be different on your site. Have you reached a max with PHP limits perhaps? Did you have duplicate adds set? Wondering if it sees those as duplicates?
    Look on this page under Large List imports

/documentation/store-locator-plus/locations/bulk-data-import/

BTW: Have you updated to the latest versions of SLP and ProPack ,
    I do not see that information that was requested in our thread.
    /forums/topic/read-this-before-posting/

Please provide the information requested , i.e your plug-in environment before I bump this topic, it would speed things up a lot. Otherwise Lance wont be able to help you.

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

There are exactly 8 lines in that CSV file that do not have 8 special non-printable characters in the address field.     Happens to be the same 8 that get loaded into the database.

I am looking into ways to “auto clean garbage” in a Pro Pack import update, but that is the issue.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="626"]CSV Import Special Characters CSV Import Special Characters breaking import process.[/caption]

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

Version 4.2.63 of SLP will be stripping any UTF-8 control characters from CSV import files.

Until then, your data will need to be clean prior to importing.

Pomona
    Participant

Thank you very much.

I just cleaned up my CSV file and it loaded into the database perfectly.

I love your program!

Cici
    Keymaster

Pomona , glad it is resolved. I used the snapshot that Lance provided you to our csv file examples (the bad fields) for our updated documentation titled CSV file formatting. But if Lances latest update works accordingly then those types of errors will be moot.

P.S.
    If you like Store Locator Plus please leave a ★★★★★ rating on WordPress.org. A huge thank you from Lance and his fellow code geeks!

Peter
    Participant

Is there a way to send you our file without publicly attaching it to the forum?

We had tried exporting a small list from SLP and using that same file to reimport but it does not work. The page reloads but does not show the locations from the file. We have also tried removing all of the locations and importing the file to populate the location list again.  We used Google Docs to edit and exported it as a CSV.

Cici
    Keymaster

Peter,

You can look at your CSV file using notepad or any other text editor to see where your bad data may exist. There are loads of tools out there to do that. We really do not have time to look at every single CSV file that is sent to us and fix them for people. The information on how to export and check your CSV file format is readily available in the documentation. Please try the self help approach first and update to 4.2.63 when it becomes available. If you need one on one help with your site you can go to the Paid support and there is a pull down menu with an “email support” option. That is the only way to have your personal file sent for a technical person here to work on it.

/product/product-support/

Cici
    Keymaster

P.S. The reason I didn’t have issues with importing Pomona file is that I imported it into Google Docs and had google sheets format it and save it to CSV file. It worked perfect for me. That is one of the suggestions we have in the link to the documentation
    /documentation/csv-file-formatting/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.