Spam has overrun my Locations: please help!

Home Forums Store Locator Plus Spam has overrun my Locations: please help!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cici 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Amy
    Participant

Before I forget to mention this, I literally purchased Store Locator Plus yesterday as well as the Pro Pack and the Tagalong add ons. I had tons of issues with the CSV upload so I went to good old fashioned manually adding the information. It was working well for the first 12 hours and then suddenly my Locations section has been overrun by spam! I have almost 1,000 spam entries in less than 12 hours.

I have no idea how this could have happened. Many of the entries are inactive but quite a few of them are active. This is super frustrating. If this cannot be fixed I would like to get my money back. I have had this product for only 24 hours and I’m already overrun by spam.

Here’s other information that may help:

I am running the most up-to-date version of WordPress and I use the PinBlack theme. Here is a link to the search results map and listings (you will see some of the spam posts as you scroll down): http://playacrossamerica.com/find-playgrounds-near-you-now/

I would really appreciate any advice and help to prevent these spam posts from happening. I do run Akismet and Stop Spammers Spam Control on my website and it works for everything else but this.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the type of spam Locations that are being added.

As I was deleting the spam I also noticed that I cannot delete some of the spam. Then, I also realized that almost all of the locations I added today did not show up! I’ve been manually adding them one by one so I have no idea what’s going on. Please help!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Amy.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Cici
    Keymaster

Since you say some are active and some are inactive: The issue is more than likely with your CSV file and formatting. The screen shot does not show spam, it is providing the error messages.

Please read through the CSV importer documentation and you can use the Free Janitor to clean up your files after exporting the file so you dont lose the good data. Then you will need to examine and delete any corrupt entries.

/documentation/store-locator-plus/locations/bulk-data-import/

/documentation/store-locator-plus/troubleshooting/

Also, Please note you need to provide the detailed information about your plug-in environment and other vital information.
    Please read this for posting thread guidelines:

/forums/topic/read-this-before-posting/

We have not had any issues with the 100 users who have purchased the same products recently.

Amy
    Participant

Cici,

I want to thank you for your help. I appreciate you pointing out that it was error messages, not spam. I was able to locate the issue and, you were absolutely right. My CSV file was all messed up. I have since fixed the issue. I appreciate the help.

Cici
    Keymaster

Cool, Amy. Glad it was an easy fix.
    P.S.
    If you like Store Locator Plus please leave a ★★★★★ rating on WordPress.org. A huge thank you from Lance and his fellow code geeks!

Every positive five star review really helps us maintain SLP, (and helps me keep in good standing with the boss. )

🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.