trying to get best zoom level through searches

Home Forums Store Locator Plus trying to get best zoom level through searches

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lance Cleveland 2 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Stefano
    Participant

Hi Lance,
    i released a sore locator based on discrete state/province search, using the following plugin configuration: slp, pro pak, enhanced search/map/results, store pages, tagalong and directory builder. i have “ignore radius on”, a radius search of 300 km, a starting map zoom of 10 and a zero adjustment level. the map domain and language are “italy”. the user position sensor is off, so SLP starts with the capital of italy, rome.

the url of my installation is the following: http://www.ido.it/punti-vendita

when i search for a province near the current location (like “frosinone”, 150 km away from rome) the adjustmen adnd movement are ok, but if i select something far away (try “agrigento” in south sicily, 700 km away from rome) the map does not exactly center and zooms out to a 6th level of gmaps. if you select a place more far away, like kazakistan, the marker will be in the upper corner, and the level of the map zoom will be brought to 4. it seems tha the application is always trying to maintain a piece of the map with the starting point (rome) inside… do i have a way to get the map moving with more precision to the destination point, ignoring the starting one? i have carefully read all the SLP documentation abount maps, zooms, position centering, searches through google, and so on, and tried lots of combinations, but now i’m stuck and i cannot reach a correct move&position system for my locations. any help really appreciated 🙂

thx and… you’re doing a great work with this plugin!! 😀

ciao,
    stefano

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Stefano.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Cici
    Keymaster

It looks like you might be using version 4.2.03 of SLP. I’m not sure if this will fix the specific situation, but can you update to the current version?

I tried a few settings in 4.2.07 with no add-ons and it always centered to the search location.

Wrathy
    Participant

@Stefano, this is Off topic, but I like your layout of the drop down menu. How can I acheive the similar design.

Cici
    Keymaster

Stefano: what’s the status of this issue? Did the update help?

Stefano
    Participant

Hi Aaron,

sorry for being late with this answer, but i’ve been submerged  by work…

Back to the problem: no, it didn’t resolve: i made up a new case test in

http://dev.studiolost.it/ocm/

with default wp theme, no plugins active except for my SPLs, and same DB of locations & store pages (imported via csv from public website) and the same plugins setup in backend.

all is working fine, except for the mentioned movements: if you search for locations  far away from each other, you’ll get a progressive zoom-out perspective: try getting this order: first agrigento (in italy), then austria, then russia, and last nigeria.

you’ll be thrown to a worldwide zoom level.

how can i control this?

thx,

s.

Attachments:

Stefano
    Participant

Hi @Wrathy,

first of all my apologies to you, too many things to do…

What do you mean by acheiving the dropdown menu layout?

the dropdown can be achieved by selecting it iin the backend (see screenshot) via the enhanced search plugin.

the styling is a mix of CSS 2 and CSS 3 techniques, you have to inspect the code (i suggest firebug with firefox to do that) a get the code you want to use :-).

if i didn’t understand you request, please let me know and i’ll try to get back to you (more quickly tha this time, i promise 🙂

s.

Attachments:

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

I am looking into this after finally reproducing it on my test system. Hope to have a solution soon.

Also uncovered some new bugs that are patched in the forthcoming 4.2.12 release of Store Locator Plus.

AK or I will post when there is a resolution.

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

@Stefano – here is the PRERELEASE copy of slp.js for the upcoming Store Locator Plus 4.2.12 version.

DO NOT USE ON A PRODUCTION SYSTEM without having a full backup first. This has not been fully tested.
    /wp-content/uploads/2014/11/slp_4_2_12.js

Copy the js/slp.js file to a backup file such as slp_original.js in the Store Locator Plus plugin directory.

Put the above listed slp_4_2_12.js file in the Store Locator Plus ./js directory then rename it to slp.js.

Let me know how it works. There are a lot of changes on the location processing engine for rendering map markers that could resolve many of the map boundary and zoom issues you were seeing.

Stefano
    Participant

hi Lance,

thx for your help 🙂

as you can test in http://dev.studiolost.it/ocm/ the path is not yet perfect, but it’s on the right way. if you search respectively far away locations (a search pattern like “italy/agrigento -> italy/aosta -> russia -> nigeria”) now they are correctly centered and zoomed 🙂 , but the submit button of the search form won’t reload the page. if you do it manually with your browser, you’ll see the search has been actually already performed, and the map will point to the new locations.

the issue (clicking the submit button won’t refresh the map) was the same of another user, and i used your slp.js release candate for 4.2.08 (see: /forums/topic/submit-button-not-refreshing-results/#post-25507), and it worked. i made a backup copy of that js, and if i put it back in the file system, the “not refreshing map issue” disappears.

s.

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

@Stefano – I tracked down a newly-introduced bug that was appearing on your test site.   I cannot reproduce it here, but it was an obvious execution issue that I could code around without reproducing it here.

Rather than post the individual slp.js file I decide to make the PRERELEASE VERSION of Store Locator Plus available as a FREE product.    Once you “purchase” the Store Locator Plus prerelease version you will always have access to the latest prerelease version of Store Locator Plus before the final tested version is published to the WordPress Plugin Directory.

Note: I put PRERELEASE VERSION in caps because it should not be used on a production system.

You can “purchase” the prerelease copy here to get the updated Store Locator Plus add-on to install and test.  /product/store-locator-plus-prerelease/

To replace the production version with the latest prerelease version:

– “Purchase” the free copy of the plugin using the link provided.

– Download the prerelease zip file.

– Login to your WordPress site.

– Deactivate and Delete the Store Locator Plus base plugin (locations and settings will be retained).

– Add New / Upload / Activate the prelease version.

When the production release is available you can either wait until a NEWER production version comes out (a number higher than your prerelease version) and let WordPress auto-notify you of the new version and do the “in place update” or you can manually do the same process as outlined above to remove the prelease version of Store Locator Plus and install the production version downloaded directly from the WordPress Plugin Directory.

Stefano
    Participant

hi Lance,

now – following your instructions – i’m using the prerelease SLP base plugin you kindly made available, and it seems to be working fine, by now.

i used zoom level = 10 and zero adjustment, and forced blocking auto-zoom.

now switching through far away locations never loose the focus on destinations :-D.

i’ll keep on testing, but things seem ok.

thx,

s.

Attachments:

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

Great!  If you run into problems please let me know.   I have a lot of testing to do as well as many of the updates in this release do not have automated testing scripts… Not yet anyway.   The more people testing prerelease the better!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.