ZIP code search display location in Saudi Arabia

Home Forums Store Locator Plus ZIP code search display location in Saudi Arabia

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Sherissa 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

archerytrade
    Participant

A ZIP code search for 23323 (Chesapeake, VA) displays Saudi Arabia instead of the locations around the ZIP code entered. See http://www.archery360.com/archery-stores/.

Other ZIP code searches work. So far I haven’t found another one that results in this problem, but 23323 is one I use often in my tests.

The only thing that’s changed recently is an update to existing listings.

archerytrade
    Participant

Any solution to this yet?

We have over 3,000 people using the locator each month, and my concern is that this is affecting more ZIP codes than this.

Note: We are on 4.1.29

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  archerytrade.

Cici
    Keymaster

You probably want to upgrade to the current versions of Store Locator Plus (which is now on v4.1.31) and if you have ProPack installed version 4.1.03. The zip code issue was fixed in 4..1.29 so that is strange if all your other locations are correctly loading and you have selected the US map. If after upgrading you are still having an issue I will let alert the tech gurus.

/pro-pack-adds-better-manage-location-filters/

Cici
    Keymaster

I just tried the zip code you mentioned 23323 in your site http://www.archery360.com/archery-stores/ and it showed me a map of the Chesapeake Bay area in VA.

Perhaps this is resolved.

Fahrenheit
    Participant

Hello,

A zip code search for 48863 in Michigan also seems to be ending up in Saudi Arabia as well.

We’re running SLP 4.1.33 and Pro Pack 4.1.06.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Fahrenheit.

Fahrenheit
    Participant

Same situation as the earlier user… is there a solution for this erroneous area code search result?

Our install is at http://miotech.net/users/consumers/find-a-provider/

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

The problem is that the Google address location engine has been updated on their servers and it now thinks the best match for the address 48863 is “Saudi Arabia”.

Go to http://maps.google.com/ and enter 48863 and you will get the same result.

I have tried using the Enhanced Search “Search Address Nearest” influence setting to change the map search from “World View” to “Current Map”, but that is not influencing Google enough to take away its bias for making the most popular request for zip 48863 on their USA domain server from being Saudi Arabia.

It looks like I am going to need to add yet another search influence feature based on the goecoding processor at Google to allow for “region bias” which is another setting they allow to be passed in. Watch the blog posts and updates for Enhanced Search for that new setting.

In the meantime if you are primarily/only serving the MI area you could get away with the “append this to addresses” option in Enhanced Search and set that to ” MI USA”. I already tried putting only “USA” in that field and it keeps the search in the USA but then 48863 has several other locations that come up first with Google for “48863 USA”.

I need to figure out some trick to allowing simple zip codes to pull up the proper places WITHOUT messing up general address search OR making the product too USA-centric.

Sherissa
    Participant

I’m having a similar problem. We are based in South Africa, Johannesburg. At my client’s office, some of them enter in a zip code 2191, for Sandton Johannesburg for example and will get the correct map and locations appearing. And some will enter in the same thing but get a map for Europe.

Is this a browser issue? I’m trying to answer their questions about why the map is not consistent, but am struggling to figure out why they would get a map for Europe and is only some of them not all of them.

I have the map set to South Africa (maps.google.co.za)

http://www.thebemed.co.za/provider-network/

Lance Cleveland
    Keymaster

The location sensor, if enabled, and cause all kinds of issues with where the map centers.

I am currently testing different iterations of locations, map settings, and Google communications on Safari in an effort to generate consistent results and the BEST results for users.    Keep an eye on the News & Info section of the site for product updates that address the issue over the coming weeks.

Sherissa
    Participant

Is the location sensor part of the browser or part of the store locator plugin?

These users are using Internet Explorer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.